Friday, 12 March 2010

Juliet Swift - Character Background Fiction

The story so far on my planned 4th ed Character. I've had it going through my head for ages and now, seeing as the muse finally hit to type this up, you get the pleasure of viewing some of my raw fiction. (All creativity on my part is subject to having a good day, being motivated, and not having sixty other things to do.)

Juliet Swift

Erik Swift Memorial Orphanage recommendation to the Central Erathis Training Facility; Quoted from a general missive from Bal Swift to High Priest Cooper.

On the matter of Juliet Swift:
As I understand, she has applied to your centre for training and ordination as a Cleric of Erathis. Nothing would delight me more if you were to accept her, despite her being two years younger than your general admission age. She has become the pride of our orphanage in the short years she's been with us.
Her application to you was not something that we at the orphanage actually knew about, it was only when the orphanage received a letter to her with the Central Temple's Seal that we were able to find out about it.
I understand her application was very well written and this is of no surprise to me. Please allow me to expand on it, and give you a little bit of background information about her.
Juliet was orphaned at five, as her family home burned down with her parents still inside. She survived but her resulting escape left her beyond the reach of the authorities. Juliet was discovered first by a company of thieves. It is my understanding that they trained her in basic thievery and developed her social and literacy skills. When the policing authorities arrested the core of the group, it disbanded. During the arrest of the groups number two, she was found and handed over to us. A couple of other children were also found and handed over to us. She was seven at that time.
Juliet adapted quickly to life with us, showing unexpected maturity and clarity of mind. She accepted our ways and was very helpful in all things. She excelled in her studies and showed a high aptitude for languages; we began to think her suitable for a career in politics or diplomacy.
Juliet has always been well liked here. Her tutors always remark how well she behaves, her peers enjoy her company, and the younger children here look up to her in a way I've never seen before. The older children avoid her for the most part, but they are of the age where they may feel threatened by her ability. That said, she has never had any trouble with the older children in the form of bullying; the only time we suspected that something may have happened, was when we saw a large group of our more rowdy older children walking away from where Juliet had been doing chores; someone went to check on her, just to be sure, and found her to be fine. Talking with her at the time, she had said that they had indeed been with her, and they had just talked. It is our belief that they had gone to cause trouble with her, and she had talked them out of it.
Juliet's studies here have reached their peak as well. She shot through the first years curriculum so quickly that we had to draw up a special plan just for her. She is currently at the same level as our fifteen year old children, which I would point out, is actually a year older than your general admission age. We believe that her staying here any longer would be a waste of her talents.
It is our belief here that Erathis herself has blessed this child to join her service. We believe her nature itself will carry her through your training programme with ease. Now word has spread the entire orphanage has joined in prayer that you will accept her for training. I do not exaggerate with that statement either.
Personally, I will miss her greatly, there have been many times she has stepped in and solved problems here, and I would be honoured if she was to be my successor once I leave the orphanage, but I feel that her calling is greater than that.
On to other matters though, as I still have much I wish to discus with you...

Excerpt from the diary of Rolen Haramil, Bard and travelling companion of Juliet Swift.

My love and I have had a good day exploring the surface of the Teres Ruins. We have found a wonderous item, a bag of holding to be precise. I found it and have given it to her as a present as her belongings and equipment have been of some encumbrance to her.
She is enjoying our expedition, but we haven't got anything new about the cause of this civilisations destruction. We've mostly found old relics and dusty skeletons, a couple of useful things but nothing really saleable. No good stories and no loot, if Juliet wasn't enjoying herself I'd call this trip a waste. She seems to have learned a lot during our stay here; she has not said so, but I think she is gathering information to apply to planting her own township someday, maybe by then I will have come to a place where I feel able to settle down. I'm sure she will make a fine leader.
She is playing the flute I gave her as I write this. She has become quite good in the time we have spent together, she seems so good at everything she does that I wonder if spiriting her away from the city was the best thing for her.
Soon we will rest in her tent, the self-folding one that she was given by her orphanage when she left them for cleric training. It still astounds me; when we return to town I may try to coax a merchant to commission her orphanage to produce them professionally.
I am amazed at her, her beauty, her talents, everything about her is so wonderful. I am constantly amazed by her, the way she uses her divine powers, and how she now seems to be learning my craft from me as well. I suspect she may even master the ability to weave arcane healing magic into her words soon.
She has yet to do her daily prayers, and we need to also eat as well; she has that covered as usual, hamper of provisions, but on occasion I do supplement it with small game.
Juliet has expressed a desire to go into the underground, from what I have been told though I fear it may be too dangerous for us, she has been quite persistent in the desire though. If I could see the stars I would seek guidance from them, but they are hidden behind clouds. I have a bad feeling about this but Juliet is convinced we will be fine. I will be cautious.
She's coming over, time to wrap this up!

Excerpt from report of High Priest Cooper:

Today one of our clerics returned home, Juliet Swift. She was mildly injured and very distraught. Her journey with Rolen Haramil has ended in tragedy. We have housed her here, and are consoling her as best we can. She has expressed desire to work within the temple for a while; I have decided to allow it considering her state, although in time I will have to release her into the world again. She has asked to take on a new vow of pacifism, which I believe to be a reaction to her loss. I will arrange the ritual to be performed once she has recovered a bit and tells me again with a clearer mind.
I spoke with her personally for a time, to find out what had happened. She blames herself for his death on account of her persistence on exploring a dangerous area, where he was killed by some fell beast. She was unable to stave off his wounding, and he was struck down. My understanding is that they had a romantic relationship, so the wounds she bears will take more than prayers to heal now. I am planning to arrange counselling sessions with one of our elders, perhaps Priestess Gerra, as she has suffered this kind of loss as well.
I will keep Juliet Swift under close observation. I would hate it if she should come apart completely, as I still believe her potential has yet to be realised.

Excerpt of missive from Priestess Gerra to High Priest Cooper.

It has been a year since you placed Juliet Swift in my care. I know you have a personal interest in her well being, so I thought I should let you know that the girl informed me this morning that she has decided to begin working outside the temple again.
She has received a letter from an old friend, she tells me. I believe this is what prompted her decision. I was helping her unpack some of the things from her past. She had learned to play the flute while she was away, and now she plays again. I was planning on pointing her in the direction of our temple musicians, but I think now she will seek out her old friend.
I believe her journey will do her a lot of good. May Erathis bless her path. She will set off very soon, in the next couple of days in fact, if you want to see her before she leaves again.

(end)


This is a mostly for fun draft, liable to change if something sounds more fun/awesome, but I think this is the origin story I'm going for.

No comments:

Post a Comment